01 March 2008

Sickness During Pre-Service Training

My energy has been taxed to the max by training so I haven't had the ability to write regulary or to do much self reflection. Plus I have been SICK for the past three days! For two nights I was completely delusional - I wasn't able to tell sleep from being awake and when I was finally able to figure out how to wake up, I was more exhausted than when I went to sleep. I'm sure it was caused partly by the malaria medicine and partly by the 101-102 degree fever that I can't seem to shake. to compound it, I half a cough that bends me double and my lungs feel like they are slowly filling with liquid, soon to suffocate me. Two others have the same thing, though one thinks she has Malaria. Wouldn't that be a hoot.

This afternoon was the first time we have had off, then we get tomorrow off as well. I don't know what to do with myself; maybe go for a walk and take pictures or something...

This morning I gave my first presentation in Antesaka (the dialect of my region). It was only two minutes long, on composting, or komposta, as it is known here, but it was fun and seemed to go over pretty well. Then, host mom and I went for a walk to the next town up and bought beans and peanuts and stuff.

I haven't been yet, but I will try to get out of going to church tomorrow: I still need to rest, a lot. I ave had a hard time adjusting to the rhythm of the sun. When it goes down (or dies, as they say here...maty ny maso andro... the eye of the day has died) then I am locked in my room (they are very afraid of witches here) and it is hard to keep myself occupied for long my candlelight. Then, in the morning, I don't want to get up until 6:00 when everyonr else is up at 4:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment